Translate

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Why did I take this job?

Being a Journalist is tough. It's a 24/7 job. Meaning you don't get the normal holidays you would get, you work weird hours, if you are lucky you get a NEAR TO "9-5" job but breaking news CAN CHANGE THAT!

So why am I talking about my job? Well an article in Newscastic I read a few days ago inspired this blog. It's called: How being a journalist takes over our normal life.  I agree and disagree with a few but here's the over all list and my comments

1. We follow police cars, ambulances and any emergency vehicle.
Well not completely true.  We do get excited when we see a cops light flash or see a fire truck headed somewhere and we always ask ourselves (like most people) I wonder what is happening. I don't go chasing stories on my time off. Now when I'm working we do have a scanner usually in the car or someone in the newsroom checking and listening for anything in case we aren't available to listen but we listen while we write, we listen while we eat and we listen while we edit. Everyone is listening.

2. We ask way too many questions when meeting someone new.
This one is true....but it helps to get to know people really quickly.  I'm known to ask and nod my head and listen to you forever.

3. We correct your grammar when you speak, write and use social media.
Yes, but some days we all have the same faux paus, now even more with autocorrect...Damn you!

4. We are nosey
Nosy? Who me? I wouldn't use that word..more like naturally inquisitive.

5. We survive on coffee at work and outside of work.
I personally don't like drinking too much coffee because it's bad for you vocal chords and voicing is tough already enough when you speak two languages and you get tongue-tied.  Yes, coffee get many of us through to the day but I don't personally think it's a Journalist thing, it's mainly a people thing.

6. We will Google you
I hate to say it but yes. We will and hate to say that sometimes we rely on it too much when we should be doing other research from other sources than the internet and google. It's a good source to find leads, phone numbers, people and sometimes tips.

7. We checkout of conversations.
.....Checked out....already......We space out and we can also block you out.  In a newsroom there are so many noises going off and people talking and shows going on, you get used to the hustle and bustle and you kind of learn to just block people and concentrate. Some days it's easier to do than other days.

8. We will randomly write stuff down.
I carry a notepad everywhere. You never know when something genius will come up. ALWAYS WRITE THINGS DOWN!!

9. We watch the news.
Because it's kind of part of our jobs. It's not like we have a real choice. You have to stay on top of what is happening in your city.  The next day you need to have to pitch story ideas to your producers and news director. So yes we watch the news. Do we want to? Not really...but we do.

10. We are constantly surfing the web and checking our phones.
...this one..frustrates me...WHO DOESN'T?

11. We suffer from insomnia.
Not sure about everyone but I do. I just can't shut my mind and working news means breaking news will happen any time and you may get a phone call telling you to get into work. So we are sleep deprived.

I loved working for news when I was younger (being 19-23). I loved the adrenaline of cover a shooting or a fire. It was fun. I'm happy I no longer work for news. You can be more creative and happy. It's a tough job and only a few can tough it for a career. I can do it but I choose to have a life and a family.  Those things are important to me, news can wait.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by MediaMosis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://mediamosis.blogspot.com/.