Translate

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

PBS Newshour Rapid Response project

The last few weeks have been hectic weeks. Between shooting a National PBS series For Your Home, a Home Improvement show that has been running for about 30 years and I have the honor to be the Director of Photography, to working a Gun Safety story for our Palmetto Scene Show, airing Oct 30th. I have been traveling all over South Carolina non-stop.

But lately, my proudest moment so far has been the PBS Newshour Rapid Response project. It's where PBS goes into high schools and works with future journalist to learn all about the world of journalism.  The PBS stations/affiliates across the nation mentors these students.  I was asked to "mentee."

PBS send topics they need to do stories on and as a class do a Package (see: Journalism Jargon) and if it's good enough, it will make it to the PBS Newshour in late December.  They also get questions or topics they have to turn around within a week called Rapid Response.

Didn't think much about it until I met my two school.  I didn't think I would be so involved but both need a lot of help. From learning the basic P's (Pre-production, Production and Post-Production) to the three pillars of camera photogrpay (ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed). They were eager to learn and I have been dying to teach to anyone who will listen.

Well, their first Rapid response was to ask a questions to this young girl, Malala. If you remember a few years ago she made the news for having being beaten close to death only because she wanted an education.

With a lot of help, the students from York Comprehensive High School made it to the PBS newshour.

Take a look at the video below, especially Emily's questions. 


The Students already had their question to ask Malala, what they didn't have was where to shoot it, how to shoot it and how to send it back to PBS.  That's where I came in to guide them. 


The picture above is how simple lighting help them create this beautiful video to send back.  It took 3 lowel lights, one with a diffuser and another one with a blue gel (left side of the photo).  We used a Canon 7d to shoot the interview too.

Besides the technical stuff, I'm really proud that these students really worked hard to do this by themselves. All I really did was asked questions why would you do this, explain a couple techniques and they went off and did it.  I'm impressed that the future journalist (at least in York Comp) have the drive to go out and do more, learn more and are eager to actually learn.   I run into so many reporters, photographers and so on that do just the minimum.  

Obviously, they are currently in the "honeymoon stage" of the journalism world but I think it's refreshing to see them starting now, like when I started working at 15 y/o doing voice overs for Telemundo, and be excited about a possible future in journalism, film, television, graphic design and so on. These kids both in York and Greenville, SC have so much potential, I may switch careers and teach instead of continue reporting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work by MediaMosis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://mediamosis.blogspot.com/.